We do the best we can to make ends meet. When our hearts are open, inspiration unfolds.
I call this Simply Collectible because I am looking to cherish every breath, every tear, every drop of rain, every bit of laughter and every morsel of life.
This isn't about me. It's about my son, Seth, and the therapies and education that will help him flourish!


1.05.2011

Here we go!

How exciting is this! I don't know what this will turn into, but I want very much to document what I am doing for Seth. He will be 5 yrs old in April and is getting a little bored with me. He requires so much stimulation that Will (my husband) and I cannot keep up.

I thought I would continue to homeschool, but once he turned 3 and was sounding out words when he thought we weren't in the room, we knew we were in trouble. You see, Seth didn't start "speaking" until he was 3 & 1/2 yrs old. Not to us, anyway. We are pretty certain he is on the autism spectrum as all his evaluations have come up pointing in that direction- no biggie. (We haven't seen the neurologist because we are more concerned with getting him in school first.) My husband and I are self-diagnosed Asperger's and we believe Seth is also. Fortunately, we enjoy the same things- music, physics, puzzles, hiking, low-lighting, quiet surroundings and plenty of time to "contemplate".

Seth is perfect!

The only thing is... he is almost reading at a 2nd grade level and can recite just about anything about the solar system. Not to mention, children make him nervous. They used to make me nervous, too. HAHaHa! Nonetheless, public school is not an option.

Seth needs extremely special attention. I am doing what I can to ensure he gets that. I feel like we are running out of time, but this is all GOD's timing.

Will works full-time and I am retired working part-time weekends to help out. I'm retired from working in Theatre and Film for over 17 yrs. Suffice it to say, for 4 yrs or so, I didn't have a creative outlet. Once Seth was born, I had to stop singing for a very short time- or so I thought, a very short time. (Will and I met in the studio and... well... life started happening.)

I had to find something to do and picked up crocheting again about 2 yrs ago. (When I was 6 or 7, I was taught to knit and crochet by my grandmother. For an aspie, this is perfect!) It brought me a little sanity when I felt that everything was spiraling out of control. The demands of a baby/toddler coupled with the lack of outlets and the extreme tantrums, spelled disaster. I felt myself further and further from my faith and didn't know anything but what was directly in front of me. Until... crochet.

Once I started to create, I felt the freedom I needed to ask questions again and look to the light. I had a desire to grow- not just survive.

So here I am. Seeking growth and freedom, not for me- for my family. At this moment, I am at the very center of it all- an advocate for my family. This is not about me. (I think it's easier that way.)

No comments: